We are proactively recruiting for our next UX designer in this year-round posting! What does this mean? While we may not jump into the interview process post haste, we are anticipating needing to continue to grow our research and product design team near term, and additionally in the future. We want to start getting to know more of you wonderful UXers, so even if you’re only passively exploring opportunities for the future, let’s get to know each other. Apply here.
We design to improve people’s experiences.
ZoCo believes in empowering people, reimagining futures, and bringing bold visions to life—all through designing products people love. Whether crafting a digital tool, mapping an ideal service journey, or uncovering the root of a complex problem, our focus is on translating an understanding of people into confident and powerful design.
Why work here?
ZoCo was named to the 2021 Inc. Best Workplaces in the nation, top six in Ohio, for a reason. We can promise you skill development, impact, and camaraderie unlike any other.
- Learning: Our experimental, fast-paced nature means you will constantly be learning, challenging your comfort zones and growing your skills even beyond A-player status. Ambitious yet humble folks thrive here, where the desire to find a better way is prioritized and your company invests in your development. ZoCo’s ever-evolving practice means no two days are the same and adaptability prospers. If you want to be at the top of your game, you come to ZoCo.
- Impact: We attract bold thinkers and romantics who aim to make a difference through their work. Your efforts here will elevate the experiences of others, uplifting those we design for to live more meaningful and dignified lives. We’ve impacted the most hairy human-challenges, from addiction recovery, to food-insecurity, to the future of senior care. If you work at ZoCo, you believe in abundance, and will provide your skillset to purpose-driven brands.
- People: We prioritize our people, applying our love for human-centered design into how we nurture relationships within our team. We have your back, and there’s no question your team would go to bat for you. We provide balance to support who you are outside of work, and we strive to ensure no one is overloaded so you can bring energy home rather than feel depleted. You may come for the work, but you’ll stay for our people.
The User Experience Designer Role
ZoCo is looking for an experienced UX Designer who understands and can serve the product design process from ideation to launch.
We are looking for a designer who takes immense pride in their work, but can handle feedback and work under fast-paced timelines without sacrificing quality. Our ideal candidate drives to deliver the best product possible. They have the ability to make thorough and thoughtful design decisions that consider both user and client needs. They are willing to help where needed and eager to try new things for the good of the team—even in roles outside of their everyday. A natural leader, this team member works well with others and is able to articulate the impact of their design choices. This role works closely and frequently collaborates with our account team, but is also detail-oriented and able to set timelines for their tasks and meet them. They will be a ZoCo ambassador and show team pride both in and out of the studio.
Though ZoCo is a multi-faceted design studio requiring team members to work on a wide variety of projects, a strong digital portfolio with a focus on user experience design will be most important for selection. Ideal candidates will also be able to showcase a strong understanding of user-centered design research methodologies.
In this role, you must be able to:
- Develops a deep understanding of user needs and pain points through research methodologies
- Articulates research findings into themes and opportunities that inform design decisions
- Translates research themes into easy to understand design concepts
- Defines digital architecture through site maps, user flows, information architecture, content requirements, and navigation
- Develops user stories, wireframes, and prototypes based on user needs
- Creates thoughtful and attractive designs ready for implementation
- Deliver clean, visually consistent designs with an understanding of standard user interface concepts and processes
- Validates design concepts through user testing practices
- Regularly presents and shares design decisions and conceptual direction with internal teams and the client
- Collaborates with your design peers and provide thoughtful feedback and discussion
- Works closely with development partners and external teams to align on feasibility and development limitations
What you’ll bring with you:
- 4-year design education or equivalent work experience
- 2–6 years of experience is preferred
- Portfolio or case stories demonstrating experience in UI/UX design
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills are required
- Experience as lead designer is preferred
- Strong competency with design programs, where Figma experience is ideal
- Meticulous attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
- Experience facilitating research methodologies to uncover user needs and pain points
- Experience distilling research findings into themes and opportunities that inform design decisions
- Experience translating research insights into intuitive design concepts
- Ability to validate design concepts through user testing practices
Why is this role important to our work?
You’re an essential part of our client service team, and are empowered to bring the client’s vision to life while leveraging ZoCo’s superpowers of insight and imagination. The work you’ll do will shape your career, build the legacy of our studio, and enable the health of the business you work within—all while providing meaningful impact to our clients and the people they serve.
Send an email to [email protected], sharing why ZoCo is of interest to you, please include enough information for us to gauge your past experiences (a resume, portfolio, etc).
If we have a spark, we’ll reach out to schedule a brief call with our hiring team to gauge fit! Thanks for your interest in ZoCo.
What you can expect from our interview process.
Once we get through the applications, the interview process begins. These occur separately either at our studio or via zoom, with about 1-2 weeks in-between each. You will be notified along the way for exceptions, but it generally looks like this:
- You’ll have a quick 30-minute chat with someone on our hiring team.
- You’ll interview with one or two team members to review your experience. This normally takes about 1 hour.
- You’ll interview with a Leadership member to discuss your fit within the organization. This conversation also takes about 60–90 minutes.
We believe in taking care of each other so we can take care of our families. We provide our team:
- Paid Health Benefits: ZoCo provides medical, vision, and dental insurance.
- Parental Leave: Growing your family is an exciting occasion, and as such, ZoCo provides leave for all parents to celebrate this milestone.
- Annual Refresh: Our studio and our work shut down at the end of December through the new year, granting our team an extra week to recharge and refresh over the holidays.
- IRA: ZoCo provides the option for a simple IRA, as well as a 3% match.
- Short-term Disability: ZoCo pays 100% of our short-term disability policy, providing security should you need to be on leave.
- Investment in Learning and Development: We provide training for skill development—both directly related to your role, as well as for soft skills.
- Hybrid Style Environment: Our team takes a hybrid approach, and empowers both in-studio and remote work. Employees have the option to choose on a day-to-day basis. We strive to make collaboration easy and accessible to all, regardless of location. Currently, the majority of our team chooses to come into the studio daily.
- Take the Time You Need: Are you sick? Need to go to the doctor? Take the time you need without worrying about it affecting your PTO. Your team will step up.
- Dog-Friendly Studio: Have a furry friend at home? We welcome all well-behaved and non-disruptive dogs.
Where do you work?
At this time, ZoCo is only hiring residents of the greater-Columbus area. Our team takes a hybrid approach, and empowers both in-studio and remote work.
If we hire you, it’s because we think you’re brilliant and trust you to decide where you work each day. We share our objectives, and so long as you are meeting them, you’re free to pick the number of days you work in or out of the studio. Some in-person work will be necessary.