We’re actively hiring our next Associate Director of Client Engagement!
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please fill out our online application and you will be added to our talent recruitment pool.
We design to improve people’s experiences.
ZoCo believes in empowering people, reimagining futures, and bringing bold visions to life—all through designing products people love. Whether crafting a digital tool, mapping an ideal service journey, or uncovering the root of a complex problem, our focus is on translating an understanding of people into confident and powerful design.
Why work here?
ZoCo was named to the 2021 Inc. Best Workplaces in the nation, top six in Ohio, for a reason. We can promise you skill development, impact, and camaraderie unlike any other.
- Learning: Our experimental, fast-paced nature means you will constantly be learning, challenging your comfort zones and growing your skills even beyond A-player status. Ambitious yet humble folks thrive here, where the desire to find a better way is prioritized and your company invests in your development. ZoCo’s ever-evolving practice means no two days are the same and adaptability prospers. If you want to be at the top of your game, you come to ZoCo.
- Impact: We attract bold thinkers and romantics who aim to make a difference through their work. Your efforts here will elevate the experiences of others, uplifting those we design for to live more meaningful and dignified lives. We’ve impacted the hairiest human challenges, from addiction recovery, to food insecurity, to the future of senior care. If you work at ZoCo, you believe in abundance, and will provide your skillset to purpose-driven brands.
- People: We prioritize our people, applying our love for human-centered design into how we nurture relationships within our team. We have your back, and there’s no question your team would go to bat for you. We provide balance to support who you are outside of work, and we strive to ensure no one is overloaded so you can bring energy home rather than feel depleted. You may come for the work, but you’ll stay for our people.
The Associate Director of Client Engagement Role
The Associate Director of Client Engagement plays a vital role at ZoCo, taking on leadership of several key client relationships while also influencing the growth, mentorship, process, and operations for the Client Engagement team as a whole. We envision this teammate’s trajectory to grow over time, evolving to a future position where they will be fully responsible for the leadership of the Client Engagement team and its role within ZoCo’s business.
This role requires a teammate who is process-oriented, committed to efficiency, and has meticulous attention to detail. They can juggle multiple projects, clients, and teammates while being capable of managing various—sometimes conflicting—priorities with constantly evolving requirements. We desire a teammate who is a true systems thinker, who can plan, structure, and forecast engagements across the team while understanding the broader implications of those decisions.
We place a high value on relationships, and our Associate Director of Client Engagement will also need to excel as the main point of contact between their clients and the ZoCo team, making strategic decisions and intuitively knowing when to adapt our approach or deliverables to meet the objectives and priorities for a project. A natural leader, this team member must be comfortable quarterbacking all deliverables and deadlines, bringing order to chaos, and balancing client and ZoCo team needs. They are a proven strategic problem solver, who always has a clear view of the big picture.
In this role, you must be able to:
Client Engagement & Project Operations (60% of your role)
- Create and nurture meaningful client relationships
- Outline, articulate, and manage all the aspects, processes, and deliverables of a project within the terms of a statement of work, and makes sure all projects are executed on time, on budget, and to the highest standard
- Define and manage project timelines, team tasks, and hourly allocations using ZoCo’s project management software and tools
- Proactively strategize and predict future impacts on team and projects
- Collaborate weekly with the design team on time allocation and manage priorities for team members when needed
- Lead key client relationships and complex projects, managing all communication with the client from kickoff through the final delivery
- Interpret objectives and clearly communicate expectations to the client and team, thoroughly documenting all pertinent details, decisions, and responsibilities
- Prepare and lead internal team meetings, project kickoff meetings, strategy sessions, and status update meetings
- Review all client presentations and deliverables before presenting or sending to a client
- Manage partners, vendors, and expenses for the accounts and projects you manage
Leadership (30% of your role)
- Lead planning team assignments for new projects, weighing project objectives and capacity to determine the best fit
- Lead the facilitation of daily morning meetings with the entire team and weekly Client Engagement team meetings
- Actively support the improvement of account management processes and software recommendations
- Lead mentoring and motivating other Client Engagement team members to aid in their individualized professional development
- Lead the preparation of Client Engagement team reviews, providing feedback and insight into opportunities for growth during review meetings
- Assists leadership with the hiring processes for the Client Engagement team, including recruitment, management, interviewing, and onboarding activities
- Lead recommendations for team allocation and the proactive management of capacity reporting to ensure accuracy across existing projects
- Collaborate with accounting to ensure accurate and timely client billing
Business Development (10% of your role)
- Supports strategic initiatives and planning for existing clients across ZoCo’s portfolio to encourage extending and expanding partnerships
- Works collaboratively with the VP, Experience Design, to craft thoughtful approaches, proposals, and statements of work for both existing and prospective clients
- Proofreads any approach, proposal, or statement of work provided by other members of the Client Engagement Team and ensures proper internal routing for review
- Assists in reporting internally on the status of projects and new business opportunities for existing clients
What you’ll bring with you:
- 4-year degree
- 5–9 years of agency experience is required
- 3+ years of managing complex accounts with knowledge and experience in creative and digital services required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Excellent attention to detail and highly thorough required
- Proven experience managing projects to be on time, on budget, and to the highest standard of execution required
- Proven experience growing client relationships, able to identify opportunities and proactively grow client accounts, required
- Demonstrated experience mentoring and developing team members required
- Strong ability to think strategically, listen and communicate efficiently internally and externally required
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, make difficult decisions, influence others, and manage change preferred
Why is this role important to our work?
You’re an essential leader for our client service team, and are empowered to bring the client’s vision to life while leveraging ZoCo’s superpowers of insight and imagination. The work you’ll do will shape your career, build the legacy of our studio, and enable the health of the business you work within—all while providing meaningful impact to our clients and the people they serve.
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please fill out our online application. Please include enough information for us to gauge your past experiences (a resume, portfolio, etc).
If we have a spark, we’ll reach out to schedule a brief call with our hiring team to gauge fit! If you have any questions please reach out to Natalie at [email protected]
What you can expect from our interview process.
Once we get through the applications, the interview process begins. These occur separately either at our studio or via zoom, with about 1-2 weeks in-between each. You will be notified along the way for exceptions, but it generally looks like this:
- You’ll have a quick 30-minute chat with someone on our hiring team.
- You’ll interview with one or two team members to review your experience. This normally takes about 1 hour.
- You’ll interview with a Leadership member to discuss your fit within the organization. This conversation also takes about 60–90 minutes.
We believe in taking care of each other so we can take care of our families. We provide our team:
- Paid Health Benefits: ZoCo provides medical, vision, and dental insurance.
- Parental Leave: Growing your family is an exciting occasion, and as such, ZoCo provides leave for all parents to celebrate this milestone.
- Annual Refresh: Our studio and our work shut down at the end of December through the new year, granting our team an extra week to recharge and refresh over the holidays.
- IRA: ZoCo provides the option for a simple IRA, as well as a 3% match.
- Short-term Disability: ZoCo pays 100% of our short-term disability policy, providing security should you need to be on leave.
- Investment in Learning and Development: We provide training for skill development—both directly related to your role, as well as for soft skills.
- Hybrid Style Environment: Our team takes a hybrid approach, and empowers both in-studio and remote work. Employees have the option to choose on a day-to-day basis. We strive to make collaboration easy and accessible to all, regardless of location. Currently, the majority of our team chooses to come into the studio daily.
- Take the Time You Need: Are you sick? Need to go to the doctor? Take the time you need without worrying about it affecting your PTO. Your team will step up.
- Dog-Friendly Studio: Have a furry friend at home? We welcome all well-behaved and non-disruptive dogs.
Where do you work?
At this time, ZoCo is only hiring residents of the greater-Columbus area. Our team takes a hybrid approach, and empowers both in-studio and remote work.
If we hire you, it’s because we think you’re brilliant and trust you to decide where you work each day. We share our objectives, and so long as you are meeting them, you’re free to pick the number of days you work in or out of the studio. Some in-person work will be necessary.